Social Security benefits are available to you when you reach retirement access age, have lost a spouse, are legally blind or otherwise have a qualifying disability. The benefits include healthcare and services, as well as a monthly living stipend. The process to apply for Social Security benefits online simplifies the process and you can do it from your home. It is best to go to the site and review the information needed, then go off line to gather the documents before returning to process the application.
There are two things to be aware of when making your application. The first is that you can save the application and return to finish it later. The second is that the application can only be submitted during the normal Social Security department’s hours. The hours and time zone are posted on the site. Below is guide on how to apply for Social Security benefits online.
What You Will Need to apply for Social Security benefits online:
- A computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone
- Internet access
- Valid email, contact and personal information
- Applicable Documentation for Application (see step 4 below)
Steps to apply for Social Security benefits online:
- Copy and paste the following URL into your browser or if your system allows, click the link we have provided here: www.ssa.gov/onlineservices
- Click on “Apply for Benefits”
- Choose if you are applying due to retirement, to access spouse benefits or because of disability
- Click on the link for “Myself” or “Someone Else” to get a list of the documentation you need to process the application
- Answer the questions as to the status of who is applying (yourself, you for someone else or with the help of someone else)
- Select whether or not you are blind and click on Submit
- Begin to answer the questions and provide information as prompted
- When done, click on “Finished”
- Check your email for confirmation your application is received.