So the time has come and due to your age or even current health condition you need to sign up for Medicare. To begin you must know that Medicare is a federally administered system of health insurance available to people who are 65 and over, or in some cases for younger ones that have disabilities that make them qualify for Medicare. Before, there was a lot of paperwork involved in applying for Medicare, but now with the internet there is no need to drive to your local social security office and wait in line. The application is now available online and only takes 10-15 minutes to complete. Most of the time, once you submit your application it is submitted electronically, so then you’re done. There are not any forms to sign and in most cases no documentation is required. Social Security will process your application and will be in contact with you if they need more information. If no other information is required, you will receive your Medicare card in the mail. Below we have given you a quick guide as to how to get started with applying for Medicare online.
Required to Apply for Medicare Online:
- Must be 65 or older or have a qualifying condition if younger.
- Computer with access to the internet.
Steps to Apply for Medicare Online:
- Copy and paste the following URL into your browser or if your system allows click the link here we have provided. www.medicare.gov
- Once there on left top side you will see a button that says SIGN UP or CHANGE PLANS. Hover over that
- That will bring down a drop box with options. Pick the fourth option APPLY FOR MEDICARE ONLINE.
- This will bring you to a new page. Here you will see a button titled APPLY FOR MEDICARE ONLY. If you have not previously began a application you will want to start here. If you have began one before you will see options to resume that application or even check the status of a application.
- Once you hit the APPLY FOR MEDICARE ONLY button you will be prompted again to a new page and on right side you will be asked who you are applying for and if you are blind under the TO START THE APPLICATION.
- Hit Continue to application and you will start the application process. Answer all the information required and once you have completed and submitted your application, it is now being processed by Social Security. They will contact you if anything else is needed and if not you should receive your card in the mail.