Garmin is one of the most respected names in the triathlon sports product industry, and people who are interested in just one of the component sports in triathlon—running, swimming, and cycling—have flocked to buy at least one of the many products that Garmin offers year after year since the parent company was first established back in 1989.
Today, Garmin offers a lot of products ranging from the traditional sports and fitness electronics, to GPS trackers and devices for aviation, marine activities, and automobiles.
Most Garmin products need to be registered so that the installed software can be upgraded with the latest updates. To register, here’s what you need to do:
- Go to the Garmin website: http://www.garmin.com/register.
- Find the banner link for Product Registration at the bottom of the page and click on it.
- Select the appropriate category in which your Garmin product belongs. The categories are Automotive, Sports & Fitness, Outdoor & Dogs, Track & Locate, Marine, Aviation, and Phones.
- You’ll be informed that you will need your Garmin product and a USB Cable. There’s a handy link to click on to see what a USB cable looks like, and if you don’t have one there’s also a link to click so you can buy it from Garmin.
- You’ll also need your product serial number, which has 8 to 9 letters or numbers without spaces or dashes. If you can’t find it, you can click on “Where is my serial number” and a popup window will appear. You can then select your product from the dropdown box so you will be given instructions where to look for the serial number. For example, the Astro device has the serial number in the battery compartment. The nuvi 265WT has it at the bottom of the unit and inside an outlined box, and you have remove the mounting bracket to view it.
- You’ll also need the Garmin Communicator Plugin, which will be installed during your registration. The Garmin Communicator Plugin is a free Internet browser plugin that sends and retrieves data from Garmin GPS devices. After the plugin is installed, just connect your Garmin GPS device to your computer in order to get started.
- On the left of the screen is the Garmin Account Sign In box. If you don’t have an account, click on the “Create one” link.
- A popup will appear which will inform you to either sign in using your social network account such as Facebook, or complete the provided fields (full name, email ad, username, and password).