If you are an African American then you can apply for a UNCF, United Negro College Fund, award. These academic awards are designed to inspire African American undergraduate students to pursue an education in science. These provide tuition for careers in chemistry, biology or engineering. Promoting these types of careers to minorities is a worthwhile program and it is easy to participate in when you apply online.
There will be at least 15 of these UNFC Awards given out in the year 2014. Each of which can be as much as $30,000 when you include the summer internship that comes with the scholarship. The scholarship will be sent directly to the student’s institution of learning, reducing his or her financial cost significantly. Since these are scholarships the money must be applied to covering the direct costs of an education, tuition, room and board and all billable fees a college or university charges.
Another benefit of receiving a UNCF award is that each recipient also is mentored by a scientist who is currently practicing in their field of interest. Not only will the financial burden of an education be lifted but these students will be able to learn directly from a professional in their field. Having the ability to gain practical experience in the their field of study can be a lifelong positive experience and means that obtaining that first job after college will be easier to find. Below is a guide on how to apply for the UNCF Scholarship online.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for the UNCF Scholarship Online:
- African American
- Enrolled in a full-time Ph. D. or equivalent doctoral degree program majoring in life science, physical science or engineering. M.D. candidates can apply
- Engaged in dissertation research, within 1-3 years of completing dissertation
- A citizen or permanent resident of the United States
How to Apply for UNCF Scholarship Online:
- Visit the official apply online website of the UNCF- applyonline.uncf.org
- Choose the apply for scholarship tab
- Sign in using username and password or using Facebook or Twitter
- Fill out the personal information required
- Fill out the academic information required
- When all the information is completed hit Apply